It’s not easy being a budget socialite. There are so many things to do, places to be and shoes to buy, that things can get a tad bit overwhelming. But have no fear! To make life a little easier, we’ve come up with the budget socialite commandments. Use these guidelines to aid you on your fun, fabulous and well heeled journey. We wouldn’t steer you wrong.
Thou shall seek true love – when shopping!
First and foremost, we believe in seeking true love…when shopping. The things you do should bring you joy and making a purchase is no exception. If you are going to spend money on an article of clothing, shoes and/or something for your home, you should LOVE IT! Not just kinda like it. Not feel okay about it. You should be in love with it. Yes, fellow socialites, we mean giddy, silly, punch drunk school girl love! A friend of mine once picked up a purse in the store, looked at herself in the mirror and exclaimed, “I love myself!” Now that’s true love.
Often, we get caught up while shopping and feel like we spent so much time at the store that we have to buy something. Or something is on sale and seems too good of deal to pass up. Other times, we can’t tell if we truly love it or not, so we just buy it. How do you know if you’ve fallen victim to loveless shopping? Here are a few good indicators:
- You have a closet stuffed with clothes but nothing to wear.
- You have clothing that still has the tags on it…months later.
- You end up wearing the same things over and over again, because those are your favorites.
- Every time an occasion comes, you have buy something new.
- You haven’t worn an item in a year and it’s still sitting in your closet.
Step Away From the Register
People, people, people, these are tell tale signs that you haven’t been buying things that you adore. When you find yourself trying to figure out whether or not to make a purchase, ask yourself one question: Is this going to be the next favorite thing in my closet? If the answer is no, put that item down! This is my mantra when shopping, but sometimes even this is not enough. If you need to gauge whether an item is the real deal, or just mere retail infatuation there are few warning signs.
- If the main reason you are buying it is because it’s on sale, you don’t love it.
- If you have to ask yourself if you love it, you probably don’t love it.
- If you are in the dressing room, wrinkling your nose, turning side to side, telling yourself how cute it would be if you just added this, sewed that or clinched this, then you ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY DON’T LOVE IT!
- The goal is find things that are on sale, but that you’d be willing to pay full price for.
If you truly are in doubt, there is one more tactic you can employ: Sleep on it. If you are still thinking about it the next day, CONGRATULATIONS, you’ve found love! Happy Shopping!