The Good: I found a great new apartment. The bad and the ugly: it had this giant spaceship looking lighting fixture in the dining room. I thought it would beam up my dinner! This was not going to work with my new Shabby Chic design, so I got to work on how to change the look without switching the fixture or spending too much. This is a rental, after all
1. What you will need:
- acrylic crystals – found at Dollar Tree around Christmas (came 3 in set for $1)
- mosquito netting or a gauzy fabric – found curtains Ikea (2 for $4.99)
- 3 inch thick (or thicker) trim fabric – found at Joann’s for $3 per yard
- hot glue gun
- sewing machine or can sew by hand
2. What you will do:
- Cut the fabric the diameter of your lighting fixture
- Put two lengths of the trim together to sew and make thicker
- Either hot glue or sew the acrylic crystals to one edge of the trim (on the inside)
- Cut the mosquito netting/fabric/curtain) to size on your lighting fixture.
- Sew a hem on one end, pull extra fabric through to gather at the top of the lighting fixture.
- Drape the fabric and hot glue small sections to keep in place.
- Hot glue the trim around your lighting fixture.