Spring has officially sprung, and for me this marks the beginning of “Day Drinking Season”. Slamming down a martini mid-day might lead your nearest and dearest to stage an intervention but Sangria… yes, Sangria is perfectly respectable. Sun dress and drinking with your pinky up respectable. And lime-basil sangria is perfectly legit.
Almost a smoothie
Just so you know, sangria is practically a health drink. It’s full of fruit. That’s healthy, right? Wine has antioxidants, which helps your heart. Oxidents damage your cells! That’s right, they mess you up on a cellular level. How scary is that? Protect your cells by drinking sangria*. Bottoms up!
*No scientists were harmed in the making of this statement because none were used. It’s basis is pure conjecture based on the love of sangria and a quick wikipedia search.
This sangria recipe features basil, because well… I’m growing basil. It adds just that little special something. If you make this for a party, all your friends will be impressed because who puts basil in sangria? They might even erect a shrine in your honor. It’s that good. On to the lime-basil sangria recipe!
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- a handful of basil leaves
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 package of blackberries
- 1 pear sliced
- 1 handful strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup rum
- ½ of a container of limeade from concentrate (can use lemonade)
- 1 cup of lemon/lime soda
- 1 bottle of white wine
How we do it
- Make a basil simple syrup – In a small saucepan, combine the water and sugar over high heat. Let this boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved, and the mixture starts to get thick. Take it off the heat and add the basil leaves. Let this sit for about 20 minutes to cool.
- While it cools, cut up your fruit. In a large pitcher, combine your fruit, limeade, and rum. Add the syrup when it’s cool. Stir and let this sit in your fridge overnight so let the fruit get sweet and chock full of liquor. If you can’t wait, then let it sit for only an hour.. Speed racer!
- Now, combine your fruity goodness with your wine and soda. Serve and enjoy!
What’s your favorite warm weather drink? Are you going to give our lime-basil sangria a try? Let us know in the comments.